Monday, September 6, 2010

Observations, part two

It wasn't even sprinkling anymore when I left, so I didn't have to worry about my groceries getting wet! It's supposed to rain a lot this week, though (including when we're at the Globe, so if it rains then, I'll definitely get wet). It's raining again now, actually.
If you haven't read any of my posts yet, you should begin at the beginning, which is actually at the bottom of the page (or maybe on the next page, depending on how many posts I've made).

Someone (I don't remember who now) asked if I experienced any jet lag. I don't think so? It seems like jet lag would be one of those things that you would know you had, if you did have it. I did make a point to set my watch to London time as soon as I got on the plane, get out in the sunlight as soon as possible, and keep a normal sleep schedule (which I've kept doing since I've been here). So, there are my tips for jet lag, I guess?
One of the stereotypes for British people, and Londoners in particular, is that they are rude/standoffish/etc.  I haven't seen that, actually!  When I took the Tube from Heathrow to my flat, there was a small flight of stairs between the tube stop and the street.  I was prepared to just lift my bags and go as quickly as I could (read: very slowly), but a man with two small children offered to carry one for me.  I told him it was very heavy, so he didn't have to, but he did!  I have also had someone pick up a coin I dropped and give it back to me with a smile, and shared laughs with people next to me about other people that were acting strangely (tourists, and one guy at the Skyride who didn't seem to know how to control a bike).  No one has been rude to me, but granted, I'm not starting conversations with anyone (except a shopkeeper in Stratford-upon-Avon).  I don't think I'd ever want to, though; I'm content to sit/stand in silence on the Tube.

The only thing I can see that might put some people off is how frustrated people get if you are blocking the sidewalk/escalator, but I think it's understandable!  It's not hard to move to one side (there are even signs on the Tube telling you to stand to the right).  On that note: I love being able to walk everywhere!  Walking gives you a different perspective of a city.  One thing I noticed at first was that I seemed to be seeing more pregnant and older people than at home (two different categories, not pregnant elderly people), but I think that's just because I didn't really see many people at ALL at home.  When you have such a small sample size, you don't get much variety, and there's plenty of variety here.  London is a very multicultural city.  Even when you hear a British accent, that person still might not be a local.  I've been asked directions three times (I guess I look knowledgeable?), the first two times by someone with a British accent (those were early on, when I didn't know my way around well and couldn't answer), and the third time by someone who sounded German (when I finally COULD answer).
It was kind of hard to go without consistent internet access for most of the first week, but I think it was actually a good thing because it made me walk around looking for places that had wifi!  (Pret a Manger and Foyles are my favorites, if you're interested.)  :)  I found other interesting things on the way there from my flat.  However, I don't think I would have figured out any bus routes without internet.  I did get a route map from the Tourist Information Centre at King's Cross, but it's so confusing!  The Tube map is much simpler.

The only other comments I have are on our classes here and how everything is set up.
We are taking four classes, one taught by Dr. King who came with us from Hendrix, and the other three by professors here.  The others asked us to call them by their first names (Susie, Barnaby, and Jean), which is normal here, but still hard for us to get used to.  Susie teaches British Life and Culture, which I think will meet at our classroom most of the time, but also involves walking around London for most class sessions.  Barnaby teaches British Art and Architecture, and we will only be in the classroom for the first class (which we already had), and the last one.  For the next session we are meeting at the British Museum.  Jean teaches Shakespeare, and I am not actually sure if many of her classes will be outside the classroom (as she didn't give us a syllabus yet), but I don't think so because she made sure to tell us that every class will have have a "tea break" halfway through.  This is fine with all of us, as our classes are 3 hours long.  Of course, with the Shakespeare class, we are going to see every play we read performed live (in class, she talked about the importance of "hearing" plays rather than reading them).  Dr. King teaches a Politics and British Literature class (not sure of the exact title of the class, actually).  I'm not sure yet whether there will be more politics or literature in the class, because he is a politics teacher at Hendrix, but he has said that he knows most of us are not politics majors and might be more interested in the literature aspect (though I am at least somewhat interested in both).
There are 14 students, including me (9 girls and 5 boys).  I knew 3 of them before I came here, though not well, but of course just the fact that we all go to Hendrix means that all of us have something in common.  However, a major difference between being in a class of 14 here vs. being in a class of 14 at Hendrix (which I have done before), is that when you're studying "alone" in the SLTC, you are surrounded by people who are part of the same group as you.  Here, you're...  More alone?  That sounds silly, but I don't know how else to put it.  If you spend all day studying in a cafe or restaurant or bookstore or park or whatever, unless you're really close to the flat, you probably won't see anyone you know, and the people around you will probably never have even been to Arkansas.  I really like this, and it makes people watching a lot more interesting, but I think it also makes me enjoy being part of the group more, when we're together.

It's always weird to look at the time and then think about what time it is at home.  ("That early, really?")  It's particularly hard when I see something I'd like to tell someone at home about, then realize that they're not even awake yet!  I also didn't realize that it was Labor Day at home until my mom mentioned it.  We had our own bank holiday the first Monday we were here, but since we hadn't started class yet it just felt like summer still.

Okay, end of this post, finally!  It's late now, so the "what I've actually been DOING" posts will have to wait until tomorrow!
I think I will end all of my posts with links to interesting London things that I have found over the past day/days/week.  Some will be current events, some will be historical events, some are just things around/near London.  They're mostly from London-based Twitter accounts that I follow, but some are from other places.  I hope that at least some of them will interest you, but I'm sure there will be days that none of them do.  Feel free to click on any, all, or none. 

Previously unseen colour footage of London during the Blitz has been discovered after lying in an attic for almost 70 years.

London Underground workers begin 24-hour strike

Tony Blair cancels book signing amid protest fears

Act now Barclays, or the Boris Bike is here to stay

Britain could face conker shortage   (and background on that one)

No comments: